Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why I think my kindle is living from scratch

For Christmas this year, my only wish was for a Kindle and the loves of my life (my husband and parents) went in on it together and bought me one. Considering the $259.00 price tag, this is one of my most frugal items I own. OK, I can hear you scoffing from here, just hear me out.
First let me tell you about my Kindle.
Slim: Just over 1/3 of an inch, as thin as most magazines
Lightweight: At 10.2 ounces, lighter than a typical paperback
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Get books delivered wireless in less than 60 seconds; no PC required.
3G Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle; no annual contracts, no monthly fees, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
Global Coverage: Enjoy 3G wireless coverage at home or abroad in over 100 countries. See details. Check wireless coverage map.
Paper-Like Display: Reads like real paper without glare, even in bright sunlight
Carry Your Library: Holds up to 1,500 books
Longer Battery Life: Now read for up to 1 week on a single charge with wireless on, a significant improvement from the previous battery life of 4 days
Built-In PDF Reader: Your Kindle can now display PDF documents natively. Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go.
Read-to-Me: With the experimental Text-to-Speech feature, Kindle can read newspapers, magazines, blogs, and books out loud to you, unless the book's rights holder made the feature unavailable
Free Book Samples: Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy
Large Selection: Over 400,000 books, including 101 of 112 New York Times® Best Sellers, plus U.S. and international newspapers, magazines, and blogs. For non-U.S. customers, content availability and pricing will vary. Check your country.
Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are $9.99, unless marked otherwise. When traveling abroad, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle Store or your Archived Items. U.S. customers will be charged a fee of $1.99 for international downloads.
That was all the technical details from the Amazon website.
Now let me tell you what I do with it.
1. I read a lot of free books I find on the Internet. Books ranging from the classics, to how to-informational, and books and short stories posted on websites and blogs by the authors. Now I can download the stories and pdf's and transfer them to my Kindle so I can read them anywhere and not be tied to my computer.
2. When I find a recipe I'd like to try or a free pattern to crochet I can download it and put it on my Kindle. Now I don't have to print it thus saying my paper and the expensive ink cartridges on my printer.
3. I live in a small town where the only book seller is the Walmart. I find that my taste in books is not often what the majority of the public wants to buy, or at least what Walmart thinks we should read. When I'm eagerly waiting for a new release odds are Walmart is not going to carry it. So that leaves me the option of driving 50 miles to a bookstore or buying it off the Internet and paying for shipping. Also I have found that most books I read I don't necessary want to own a hard copy of. As I'm trying to live simply I am trying to keep only my most beloved books in my library. Take the new book Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol . I really wanted to read his new book. It came out before I had my Kindle. The Library had a 5 month waiting list to read it so I bought it from Walmart. I paid something like $18.00 for it on the day it was released. I could of got it from Kindle for $9.60 and even better than that downloaded the first chapter for free and found out that the book was very disappointing and saved my money altogether. Now when I want to read a book I can get it thru my Kindle saving the trees and ink that would go into printing it. If it's one I want to add to my library then I can put it on my wish list at paperbookswap.com (they swap hardbound books also) and get it for free.
4. I even put my presentation for my CPR classes on it. Now when I teach a class I can use this instead of juggling all my notes. I can even load up my grocery and shopping lists on it and since I can add notes right on my Kindle I can keep a price list and update it while I'm shopping.
So this is why I'm in love with my Kindle, and not to lazy to turn the page as my family jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin